Currently, HVAC sector is a top growing field. A career in the HVAC industry could be a great choice for you, if you are looking for a exciting and good paying job. There is demand for skilled and certified HVAC technician in this sector is increasing. You can earn an worthy living and help others to remain comfortable in their own homes, businesses, etc. by having the proper training, certificate and experience. But you know how to start career in HVAC technician ? In this article, we are going to explain you all the points like how to become hvac technician, role and responsibilities, certified programs, apprenticeships, training, etc.
Table of contents
How to become a hvac technician
Here are the steps on how to become hvac technician:
1. Earn a high school diploma or equivalent -The minimum hvac education requirements for entering this industry usually be a degree in secondary education. Make sure you've good understanding in math, physics and mechanical principles will aid you in your future career.
2. Complete an HVAC training program - There are many different ways to get HVAC training, some o them are as follows
Apprenticeship: It is the most common way to become an HVAC technician. Apprenticeships typically last 4 to 5 years and combine on the job training with classroom instruction.
Certificate program: how to get hvac certified? It takes approximately 2 to 3 years for certificate programs to be completed and it offers a more focused course of study on air conditioning.
Associate degree: Associate's degree offer a more comprehensive education in the field of air conditioning technology. It usually takes two years to complete
3. Get certified. Following are some of different HVAC certifications required to work as technician.
EPA Section 608 Certification
Industry Competency Exams (ICE)
HVAC Excellence Certification
Refrigeration Service Engineers Society
Refrigerating Engineers and Technicians Association (RETA)
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Once you've completed above steps, you can start your career as an HVAC technician.
What is hvac technician
A HVAC technicians is a professional who has experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation or air conditioning equipment. The HVAC technicians are working on a variety of devices like furnaces, air conditioning units, heat pumps, boilers and refrigeration systems.
HVAC technician job description
The job description of an HVAC technician as follows:
1. Installation and configuration of the heating, cooling system: installation and interconnection of an air conditioning unit, ductwork or similar heat exchange components shall be carried out in accordance with design specifications and building codes.
2. Routine maintenance: The hvac service technician carry out regular inspections, cleanings and maintenance activities to ensure the proper and safe operation of the HVAC systems. This includes acitivites like replacing filters, lubricating moving parts, checking electrical connections, and testing system performance.
3. Diagnosis and repair of trouble: If an air conditioning system encounter any problems or malfunctions, technicians will diagnose the problem, so they can find out what is wrong with their parts and fix them. Then take a test of system.
4. Upgrading systems: To improve energy efficiency and to take into account the needs of customers, air conditioning technician can upgrade old equipment or modify systems.
5. Providing customer service: hvac journeyman is often in direct contact with all clients by addressing their concerns, explaining the procedure of repairs as well as recommending an improvement or replacement system.